Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lake George

It’s had been raining cats and dogs in Upstate NY but that did not stop an afternoon outing to Lake George. Before I was born my grandmother would join my parents for a picnic. If I recall correctly, they would pack a basket full of veal cutlets and other goodies. This trip we made our way to The Alogonquin which is a perfect spot to lunch that has an outside patio right on the water and has docks for boaters to tie off and enjoy a relaxing meal. A long, long time ago, when I worked one summer at Canoe Island Lodge, a couple of the staff and I made up a drink called The Red Stressor (basically vodka, cranberry juice and ginger ale) that we thought was a clever way to celebrate our difficult clients. I digress. The menu at the Alogonquin is simple but the food is solidly delicious. I ordered a Rueben with turkey which I never have in Los Angeles and it was glorious in all it’s sauerkraut, Russian dressing, turkey, cheese and rye bread. My mother had a burger with blue cheese and onion. This is one of my favorite spots for lunch....in the whole United States!

Just as we finished and headed to the Sagamore Resort – down came the rain. If you haven't been, you should go. The Sagamore is really a lovely property with great views. If it had been a nice day, we would have sat on the deck in Adirondack chairs and soaked up the sun.

No comments: