Thursday, June 12, 2008

In response to WSJ article - Drill. Drill Drill.

This morning over my cup of java, I turned the pages of the WSJ and there was a photo of dolphins frolicking in the foreground and a big oil tanker in the background with the headline shouting, "Drill. Drill. Drill." http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121322872046666269.html?mod=todays_columnists I actually got a pit in my stomach. I gulped my coffee, took a deep breath and read the article and then took action. I wrote a letter.

Here's my letter to the WSJ:

My response Daniel Henniger's comment, "This is the year Americans joined the real world of energy costs. Now someone needs to explain to them why we - and we alone - are sitting on an ocean of energy but we won't drill for it." is simply one word. Good. Good that we won't drill for it. If Mr. Henniger needs an explanation, then surely his mind has been affected by the asphalt jungle. As a resident in Palos Verdes in Southern California, I walk the coastline daily. It is one of the most inspiring, uplifting, calming, rejuvenating experience one can experience. To roll the dice on more drilling, is fool hardy. We shouldn't be consuming so much oil anyhow. Our dependence on oil causes wars, damages the environment and fuels the fires of economic downturns like the one we are facing now. When "How much does it take to fill up your gas tank?" is the most common question asked these days, it's time to get our head on straight. No to Henniger's mantra of Drill. Drill. Drill.

No comments: