Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fast Food Nation

With the lack of intelligent TV these days, I thought a trip to the library was in order and I rented a couple of movies. The jacket describes the movie as "inspired by the best-seller that revealed the unpleasant truths behind America's fast-food industry." Rolling Stone said "...a firecracker of a movie that jumps off the screen."

I found it very slow moving and not that interesting although I enjoyed Greg Kinnear's character. About 3/4 of the way through - I was downright bored. Ok so a guy gets ensnared in a meat grinder and loses his leg while his friend tries to save him and is severly injured. Kids spit in burgers before handing them off to customers. A supervisor in the meat packing plant is having sex with his underlings. All the while - a high fecal count is making it into the food supply because the "gut line" is moving to fast for the workers to properly remove the matter from the end product. Enough.

I fast forwarded only to see how cows are slaughtered and call me what ever you will - but it was deeply disturbing. I was mad at myself for watching this before bed-time. I instantly thought about my food choices. Will I eat meat again? I am sure I will...but it the inhumane slaughter made a strong impression. And I do believe how we treat animals is indicative of how we value life and treat each other.

No comments: