Monday, April 28, 2008

Prices in Los Angeles

For my international readers who may be interested to know the price of neccesities in Los Angeles...

Gas - has surpassed $4 a gallon. In LA that is tough because it take an hour to get anywhere and if you are a commuter, most of the time you are sitting on the freeway. I am definately glad I do not own a big gas guzzling SUV or a big engine in my car. I am a lot more careful about where I go...

Eggs - Now this shocked me. Eggs were a cheap staple. Not at $3.39 a dozen - not so cheap. The gal at Trader Joe's said she could remember they were only a dollar last year.

Daffodils - Remember those daffodils I waxed on about? They were orignally 99 cents a bunch - in a couple of weeks - the price has gone up to $1.29

Rice - The news reported a 160% increase. Someone is stock piling rice.

Wheat - The Eqyptian gal at Trader Joe's was telling me their is a wheat shortage in her country and that everyone is fighting over pita bread. Someone is stock piling wheat.

Milk - nearly $4 a gallon - the same price as gas. Is this crazy or what?

Best bargains in town can be found at:
  1. The International Store on Hawthorne - lots of reasonably priced produce, bread and cheese.
  2. Farmer's Market - lot of veggies and fruit for a dollar or more
  3. COSTCO - obvious right? Tonight I was wishing for a big hunk of cake from the Cheesecake Factory. 1) it was off my driving route 2) I couldn't justify $8 or $10 for a piece of dessert. On my COSTCO run I discoverd chocolate covered ice cream that is covered in big chunks of yummy almonds. It was so big - my hand was literally getting tired holding the end of the wooden stick. It was amazing and for $1.62 it was the most enjoyable and best value. I will probably have to walk from here to AZ to burn off the calories. YUM

No comments: