Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Women's Conference 2008

I've followed The Women's Conference the last 2 or 3 years in large part because of Maria Shriver. Her speeches are so compelling, compassionate and filled with first hand life accounts that are so personal and intimate - you want to hear more.

You realize she is a real and an admirable person. She spoke at length about her love of family and in particular her love for her mother who is the foundation of her very being. This I can relate to. She elaborated on her fear of her mother dying and of her fear of going out on stage for a particular event. and that made me think about a conversation at a dinner party. I was interested to hear such an accomplished speaker such as Maria Shriver share her view about overcoming such universal fears . It goes to show - we are all human.

Christiane Amanpour is a longstanding favorite journalist of mine. I wish I had my laptop available to share her presentation. She spoke about Afganistan and how for a time, as a result of US support, women were able to enjoy more social and educational freedoms but when American turned their attention to Iraq, those social advancements dimished. This was of interest to me because I just met a physician from Afganistan who is actively seeking to expand hospital services in his home country. These topics don't usually come up in day to day conversation.

Condoleeza Rice...some discussion points:

  • The glass ceiling will go away when women help women.
  • It's ok to be the first and not have a role model that looks like you. Example: Sally Ride Realize You can find a role model in any age, color, ethnicity and religion.
  • You have to find the road that works for you - there is no particular route - you have to create your own way.
  • One's failure can lead to redirection in which you can be wildly successful. Example: Condoleeze Rice's failure as a concert pianist and her passion for studying Russian. She acknolweged as a Black girl from Alabama with no Russian blood, had never been to Russia, it didn't make conventional sense.
  • Don't let conventionalism stop you.
  • Condoleeza Rice - why she is single - she hasn't met anyone to date that she wanted to marry and spend her life with was met with applause. I must admit - I quitely applauded in my living room - as I feel the same. But - I sure am looking forward to meeting a life partner who is a great husband, a best friend, a savvy business partner, and activities companion. Too much to ask? I don't think so!

    For more information go to http://www.womensconference.org/

No comments: