Saturday, June 6, 2009

El Bizcocho - The Tasting Menu at Rancho Bernardo Inn

I knew within seconds that I had to try the tasting menu. It looked unusual, elegant and like an incredible dining opportunity. I am happy to report, it did not dissapoint. It was FANTASTIC!

As a glass of Moet White Star was being poured, a dish with 3 butters - honey, olive and plain - were delivered with a warm French crusty bagette. Then a shooter of gazpacho and clear jello like substance on spoon appeared. The substance popped in your mouth like a giant caviar only much cleaner and more refreshing.

The tasting menu has 7 items but I received an incredible 9 of which 6 were paired beautifully with wine. Diet? What diet? Having been careful for the last month - I threw caution to the wind and in my mind said "Bring it on!"

What I delighted in was comparing the brief description on the menu to the plates that were delivered with flourish. The presentation on the Santa Barbara Prawns was really whimsical. The avocado and uni mosaic was shaped into a flat and perfect square, with crispy tapioca that were small, white round crunchy beads. The head the prawn had been fried and stood upright as an architectural 3D element to the plate. Thankfully the Captain, Mickey McSurdy is approachable, knowledgeable and personable - and I asked if the head was something I was suppose to eat. No. Glad I asked! I felt comfortable asking him any question about the menu and knew that I was in excellent hands.

Next came the Sweet Onion Bisque which sounds plain but was quite extravagant. A slow-cooked duck egg wrapped in gold leaf appeared with a slice of manchego cheese then a server pours the sweet onion bisque to the side of the egg. Wow. Yummy.

After that came the Pan Seared Diver Scallop wit hasparagus consumme, toasted sesames and maitake mushrooms, followed by Fonduat Pyramid Raviolis which came with shaved truffles and a hazelnut pesto. Taking my fork to cut through the perfect pyramid shape, the fonduta was rich, creamy and delicious. I am not a huge fan of truffles but I really enjoyed this dish.

Next came Butter Poached Lobster with razor clams, abalone mushroom confit, fiddle head ferns and compressed fennel. The Captain and Chef were kind enough to switch out Slow Cooked Lamb Loin since with a Slow Roasted Prime NY Strip. Ooo. ooo. ooo. It came with a truffled pommes puree and heirloom carrots and since I haven't eated red meat in a long time, this was divine!

Throughout the night - I was made to feel very comfortable. Rick Cortez, the Matre de, stopped by to chat several times. He's been with the Rancho Bernardo Inn for twenty three years - which I find really incredible. I had a great time talking with Alaun Grimaud, Executive Sous Chef, about the menu and what I enjoyed in particular (EVERYTHING!).

I took my time to really savor every part of the dining experience and to ask a lot of questions. (What's a pithvier? What's barigoule mean? etc)

Dessert was an incredible series of indulgences. I asked if it would be not too much trouble to have a chocolate souffle instead of what was on the menu selection. Not a problem. But first came a hand made mango ice cream that was prepared table-side by Mickey. The three ingredients were vanilla creme anglaise, mango puree and liquid nitrogen! The white smoke produced from the liquid nitrogen gave it a very theatrical, dramatic appeal. It was like something out of a Broadway show! The ice cream magically appeared and it was delicious. Then came the chocolate souffle and THEN came the Carmelized Pineapple with coconumt sorbet, caramel espuma and rum jelly. Mickey thought I need to try it and he was right! I took a few bites of the souffle and shifed my total attention on this dessert because it had a lot of flavors and textures to offer. Outstanding!

Hats off to the entire staff at Bizcocho for a very memorable dining experience. I highly recommend Bizcocho to food lovers everywhere!

Seven Course Menu $105
Matched Wines $50

No comments: