Sunday, November 23, 2008

English Beat at Hollywood Park

The English Beat is one of my all time favorite bands and I was really happy to hear that they were playing in the area. Wow. The thought hadn't occurred to me that they would play at Hollywood Park - but let me tell you - it was a great concert. And suprisingly a really good venue.

The concert was outdoors which was perfect. The weather was nice, and once the music starts it so infectious, you can't help but move your feet. The stage/concert space is smallish , which I prefer, but small as the square footage was, the crowd spanned different ages, colors, styles of dress and backgrounds. I watched little kids and their impressive fast foot steps - no way could I even begin to keep up their pace.

Today I was catching up with a friend lives in Marin County (near San Francisco for those of you who don't know). She told me she saw the English Beat yesterday, which I thought was pretty cool since I went on Friday. Neither one of us knew the other was a "Beat" fan and a lover of ska.

So here's the low down, Hollywood Park is fun! Ok, so I got their at the 7the race (of which their were 8) but the crowd was filled with lots of people hanging out, enjoying each other's company, drinking beer and being casual. Hollywood Park is easy to get to, parking was free, entrance was $7 and another $3 for the clubhouse (which gives you access to the free concert) and beers were a couple of bucks. To bad I found all this out after there Friday concert series ended this past Friday. On the other hand - I look forward to catching their next concert line up. I'm really glad I went - the English Beat gave a great performance. Here's a link to Hollwyood Park's concert series:

http://www.hollywoodpark.com/visit/fabulous_fridays.html Here's a link to Dave Wakeling's website (he's the lead singer of the English Beat) http://www.davewakeling.com/home.asp

No comments: