Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dolphins Surfing off Redondo Beach

While walking along the Esplanade this afternoon, I spotted the outline of a dolphin surfing just as the wave crested and it's form was back lit by the greenish blue clear water. It was a stellar shot. No camera but one for the memory banks of the mind. I stopped to enjoy the sights, sun and light breeze and was amazed to count up to 13 pods having one heck of a time swimming both north and south.

For those of you who might be interested in learning more about the local dolphin population or donate to this cause, here's the link:http://www.oceanconservation.org/

While looking for great sites on dolphins to pass on, I sadly came upon this recent article in the LA Times about a deep diving dolphin that died most likely as a result of a Navy sonar research program. Call me a softy but this makes me sick to my stomach. How would you like to be merrily swimming along and have a sonar blast the life out of you? If you want to read it, here it is: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-dolphin22feb22,1,6511399.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

This reminded me that swimming with dolphins is in my must-do living-life-to-the-fullest list. There is a family vacation coming up in Mexico and so to end on a happier note: http://travel.latimes.com/destinations/mexico/puerto-vallarta/clm/active-pursuits/swimming-with-dolphins


Call it a 2-fer day. After blogging about those beautiful elegantly plumed peacocks, there was one crossing the road today.

No comments: