Monday, August 10, 2009

When You've Been Googled

I'm always curious to see where my readership is coming from and what key word searches are conducted to route them to my blog. For some reason, I'm surprised when the key word search happens to be my own name.

Over the last couple days, I have had an avid reader from Oak Park that read all of my blogs. Interesting. Who do I know in Oak Park. Hmmm. I can name at least 3 people I know of that live in Oak Park off the top of my head.

During a business lunch and the gentleman I was meeting openly mentioned that he had googled me to have an understanding of who he was establishing a relationship with. That makes sense to do your due diligence.

A couple months ago I met an interesting fellow on a flight from Brazil. We exchanged emails and in our exchange I learned that I had been googled. I had forgotten that I had briefly mentioned him in my blog which upped the ante so to speak in our mutual interest.

I guess in a way, I find being googled can be flattering and/or a little bit creepy depending on who is doing the googling. Realizing, I am the one putting myself out here and making my thoughts and experiences accessible to cyperspace, I pause and wonder.

I'm pleased when the articles that I write and the work I have done are sought after or when one experiences that I have written about have gotten some good play.

As to my own name being searched...that is food for thought.

No comments: