Friday, June 13, 2008

On Manners

On an errand to mail a Jimmy Buffet book to a friend , I noticed an elderly gentleman parked in a handicapped spot talking to his wife. As I breezed by, he followed.

In a rush, I didn't realize he was right behind me, but as I always do, I turned back to make sure the door I had just opened would not slam on the person behind me. I held the door open for him.

He looked so astonished. So appreciative. So happy. "Gosh, I'm not used to anyone doing that for me." "My pleasure!" rolled off my tongue as an instant reaction. And I took a good look at him.

An elderly gentlemen, stooped over in his walk, wearing a plaid shirt and a lariat with a big stone in the middle.

How could anyone not hold the door open for this man?

Are we all too busy to have manners? Or to be genuinely concerned that we might slam the door in someone's face? Ye gads! This man was so surprised at such a simple gesture.

For those of you readers who are door slammers - please take note.

No comments: