Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Peacocks in Palos Verdes


I feel like I am in some strange, exotic place as I hear the distinct call of the peacock. For those of you that don't know, Palos Verdes peninsula in L.A. County is home to these technicolor dreamcoats. You could be driving your car past the library in Malaga Cove and their is one strutting it's stuff on the side (or the middle) of the road. One was outside my living room window much to my surprise (and delight!) as I discovered after checking out why my two cats had their heads butted into the window screen and their tales were flicking back and forth with intensity. Peacock spottings don't occur as often as I would like in my neighborhood and that is why I welcome that exotic call so early in the morning.
The sun has just risen. Pink horizontal bands across the sky. It is so quiet, I can hear a plane off in the distance making it's U-turn from the Pacific to an Eastern heading. Ahh. The serenity of Palos Verdes. I love P.V. because it feels so "un-L.A." To me, withit's European with its Spanish and Italianite homes, city fountains, wonderful hilly, curvy roads with stellar views of the cliffs and ocean and expanses of limitless - sky - it feels like Europe. Every day can be a Calgon-take-me-away-day.


I digress about my beloved bird. A google search with keywords of peacock and Palos Verdes results in bevy of interesting websites. Among my favorites are:


The FOTP’s (The Friends of the Peacock) purpose is to protect, promote, and ensure the preservation of the wild peafowl in PVE for future generations of property owners to enjoy as part of the natural character of our semi-rural coastal city.
http://avocado.forest.net/marysalpaca/fotp/index.lasso
Taken from the L.A. Business Journal, the link below focuses on the 90274 zip code and description of property values, affluence and briefly describes the flocks of wild peacocks were imported decades ago and have flourished.
Here's a different point of view on the virtues of peacocks. This one is from a real estate agent who brings to light the "pooping peacock disclosure". Funny and fascinating all the same time. As my 4 year old nephew would ask, "Tall tale or true?" True.
Well, the day has begun, morning commutes have started along with the morning walkers and the peacock calls have subsided and my coffee cup is empty. My cue for moving on with the day.

No comments: