Friday, March 7, 2008

LOST extra casting: Middle Eastern persons needed

While waiting for a connecting flight from Honolulu to L.A., I read an article in the Honolulu Advertiser about a LOST casting call for Middle Eastern appearing people of all ages. I showed it to my mother and asked what she thought. Do I look Middle Eastern? Yes was the answer. For the next 4 days I found myself excited about the possibility. What a kick it would be. I love that show. And I would be in Hawaii. And it would be a great life experience and I would have fun stories to tell. And finally - my non-WASP, non-California-blonde look would be marketable. Even an asset.

Off went the pictures sent express. And off I was on a quest. I called the journalist from the paper to get the casting number. Surprisingly, it was the casting director who picked up the phone! They needed over 100 people for two days. I was told I had a job and that I would get a call firming up the details. Hurray! I was excited and started making arrangements but held off until plans were solidified. The next day, the casting director called and suggested it wasn't worth the time and money since the shoot would be next Friday and wardrobe would be on Monday. I would be part of the set of a funeral set in Tunisia shot from above and have a covering over my face. I accept! I accept! I'll call you later was the response from the director. She forgot I was in L.A. Ut-oh. Not sounding so good. A couple hours later I thought it was best to call and indicate I had purchased my airfare and would be arriving on Sunday afternoon but the director was in a production meeting and her assistant said it would be a couple of hours. Sinking feeling. At 6:30 PST, I saw the day passing - and with it the opportunity - one last call. I hope I am not bugging them but damn! I would really like a confirmation! The sinking feeling called intuition was right. I was told that they had downsized the pool of extras and my services would not be needed. Can you say: Dissapointed? I did. Maybe I was too assertive, impatient or maybe they just didn't need the as many extras as they had originally planned. Whatever it was - the end result was the end result. I was left frustrated and dissapointed and wondering what I could have done differently. But maybe they just didn't need someone to fly in from LA for a $70 day and being so eager.

Sometimes you just have to accept what is out of your control and remember to do it with grace. I forget sometimes, to be honest, and graciousness flies out the window. There have been several instances this past week where things didn't turn out the way I would like - and I found myself objecting and sputtering - sometimes internally and sometimes externally. I guess the main thing to practice is the perverbial "letting go", of being ok with dissapointment even after you have made a herculean effort to achieve, obtain or secure something. Of saying "I did my best" at the time. And not blaming others. And after all this is said and done, you can move on to something else that excites you and catches your fancy. The main thing is take risks even knowing there is a high likelihood of them not panning out. Life is full of surprises

No comments: