Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hawai'i - Farmer's Market, Fruit & Fun


Hello from the road. I've got my Hawaiian groove going with the happy, relaxed attitude Listening to Island music definately puts me in a great mood. So does snorkeling, eating good food, tootleing around and exploring by land and sea.
I checked out the local fruit from local stands, grocery stores and the farmers market. The pineapple was sweet, juicy and delicous and the papaya is a scoopable, melt-in-your-mouth kind of treat. I also tried guava that look like miniture versions of oranges but much smaller and oval. Sour. Not my favorite but I am glad I tried. Then I bought some red spikey fruit that I found out were lychees. My family debated whether the seed in the middle is edible. I tried it and liked it - especially the delicate transparent-like flesh inside. I tried star fruit which are a nice change and have 2 chimoyas which hopefully will ripen before departuring this Friday.

In the other direction (aka. non-healthy), I've tried Kalua pork, Puka Hot Dogs, bananna macadamia nut pancakes with coconut syrup and a chocolate volcano cake from Roys which is rich, warm and very chocolatey.

No comments: